Pickled red onions. This might not actually sound like a kitchen secret at all, but it’s my secret. Well, I guess that’s a lie because now it’s not so much a secret anymore. Oh, well. I love you all enough to share it. Actually, that’s the point. I’m hoping to spread the word about my kitchen favorites one blog post at a time – that way when I visit for dinner you’ll have some easy pickled red onions ready to go! Keyword: Easy. These actually are so easy, y’all.
I’ve tested out a few different methods for making pickled red onions, but this is the best one I’ve found. In reality, I typically want tacos at least once a week (I had to be honest) and I almost never have tacos without pickled red onions. It’s how I trick myself into thinking I’m actually enjoying those way-too-delicious tacos at Loco. Real talk – if you’re ever in Boston, you must visit Loco Taqueria. The tacos are out of this world and the margaritas are…well….phenomenal. Get the Coco! You’ll love it (as long as you like coconut as much as I do!).
Easy Pickled Red Onions
- One red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Boil 3 cups of water on the stove.
- Place sliced onion in a colander and pour boiling water over (to soften the onions).
- Whisk or shake vinegar, sugar, and salt in a mason jar until dissolved.
- Place onions in jar.
- Let sit at room temperature 45 minutes.
- Cover and chill - will keep in fridge for 2 weeks.
What’s your favorite (easy) kitchen secret?