A few easy steps to take for a quick spring home refresh.
While fall surely is my favorite season, spring brings an entirely refreshing feel. The sun is finally shining again, which (1) makes being outside a lot more tolerable and (2) makes me REALLY want to clean since I can see every nook and cranny of my apartment in natural light again. Yikes.
Spring Home Refresh
If you’re not looking to entirely revamp your home this spring, there are still a few quick and easy spring home refresh steps you can take. Go with as little as you’d like, or as much!
I love a clean bedroom, but I’m so bad at actually keeping it clean. In fact, as I write this, I still have shopping bags and shoes everywhere (sorry, T). So, in honor of spring, here are a few ways to give your bedroom a little refresh:
- Get new sheets! The feeling of new sheets is unmatched.
- Rotate your mattress. It’s probably been quite a while since you did that, right? Give it a go. The few minutes of awkward lifting and turning will be worth it. Or perhaps you might even want to consider picking up a new one altogether! If you are, there are of course tons of store-to-door options, but consider checking out Leesa for mattresses. They’ve got a pretty nifty giving program, including planting one tree for every mattress they sell. Cool, right?
- Time for the closet. Donate or sell of all the shoes, clothes, and accessories/bags that you haven’t used in the past year. Odds are, if you haven’t worn it in a year, you’re most likely not going to (with the exception of special occasion wear).
The living space
This one is probably the easiest in an odd way, at least for me. We don’t have much in our living room (well, with the exception of the boxes that have been there since we moved in), it’s more so just going through old magazines that have been piling up under our coffee table and really doing a deep cleaning. You know, getting rid of all that under-the-couch dust, etc.
- Swap out your textures. As in, did you have a heavy blanket resting on your couch for those chilly winter nights? Swap that out for a lighter blanket better suited for spring.
- Move your furniture and dust/vacuum/sweep your heart out to get everything fresh and clean.
When it comes to spring cleaning, I feel like the kitchen is sometimes overlooked – it seems to be more of the living space and bedroom space. However, I love a clean kitchen. It’s just that I despite the actual act of cleaning the kitchen. Here are a few ways to spruce up your kitchen for spring – some of these will take less than an hour, while others are larger spring projects:
- Sift through your pots and pans: Are any just way too worn? Stop holding on to them and get rid of them. They’re not doing you any good stuffed in your cabinets to never be used.
- New backsplash: It’s amazing what a new backsplash can do for a kitchen. Here are a few of my favorites, though I’m especially loving this dark green backsplash trend.
- Clean out your fridge, freezer, and pantry: If you look through all of your food, your bound to find items that have expired or that you know you won’t eat. If it’s still good, bring it to a food bank! If not, t h r o w it away, y’all.
I might despise cleaning the bathroom almost as much as cleaning the kitchen, if not more. But, it’s a small space so it generally takes less time. Win!
- Get a new shower curtain & liner: I love the look of a new shower curtain. Really, it’s the only thing that has pattern or color in our bathroom. So, swapping that out can actually drastically change the look of your bathroom.
- Add greens: We added a faux IKEA plant to our bathroom and we get questions about it all the time! It’s just this tiny little plant, but it looks real and can obviously survive without any maintenance (good for us since we seem to kill every green thing we bring into our home). Another type of green I’m hoping to find soon for our bathroom is fresh eucalyptus. I love seeing eucalyptus hanging in the shower – it’s also a major help with my asthma!
Are you getting ready for spring cleaning? I sure am. My apartment is definitely in need of a spring home refresh around these parts.