Modern pigs in a blanket with a fun (and tropical!) twist.
This post has been sponsored by Dr Pepper® and Johnsonville®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Who loves pigs in a blanket? I’m raising my hand, in case you couldn’t guess.
Actually I’m raising both hands.
Pigs in a blanket were always a party favorite. Really though, how could you not love such an adorably small treat? And, now that I’m living in Atlanta, I get to celebrate football culture even more. And by that, I mean SNACKS. All. The. Snacks.
When I was daydreaming about all the fun and delicious snacks I could whip up for game days this fall, pigs in a blanket popped right into mind.
If you’ve ever attended a shindig, party, or the like with my fiancé and me – you know that his specialty is pigs in a blanket. I kid you not. It doesn’t actually matter what the occasion is; if we’re bringing food, it’s bound to be pigs in a blanket. We’ve brought pigs in a blanket to Christmas events, New Year’s Eve parties, and even his father’s 50th birthday party.
See? Like I said, it doesn’t matter what occasion it is, pigs in a blanket end up being the snack of choice. And you know what? He’s usually the one who makes them! So, I called in some backup for making these modern pigs in a blanket.
There’s pineapple, there’s Dr Pepper, there’s cheddar…..oh boy the whole thing is just downright delicious.
Johnsonville Beddar with Cheddar Smoked Sausages (1 pack)
1 7.5 oz can of Dr Pepper
2 packs of crescent rolls
2 oz pineapple juice
¼ cup brown sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Roll out the crescent rolls and tear at dotted lines to create four sections. Because these sausages are larger, you’ll be rolling each one up in two crescents.
3. Roll each sausage up with the crescents, starting from the shorter flat edge so the crescents wrap around a few times.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them, so you can take them out right as they turn golden brown.
5. While your modern pigs in a blanket are baking, make your glaze! Stir your brown sugar, Dr Pepper, and pineapple juice over high heat until boiling. Turn heat back down to medium so that it’s lightly bubbling, but not boiling.
6. Stir consistently for about 10 minutes. Take your glaze off the heat as it starts thickening up. Pour it into a ramekin or bowl, and let cool.
7. Cut the pigs in a blanket into three sections each, top with your glaze, and enjoy!
I know what you’re thinking:
Dr Pepper and pineapple? With cheddar smoked sausages? Are you crazy?
I promise I’m not, and I also promise that you’re going to want a second serving of these little pigs in a blanket. And also maybe a third. Sorry in advance, y’all!
I don’t know what it is, but this combination is just so darn tasty. It’s got an underlying tropical vibe, a gorgeous dark hue, and a perfect syrupy texture thanks to the Dr Pepper. GOSH, I’m getting hungry just thinking about them.
Oh and if there’s one other thing I love besides my new favorite game day snack? It’s easy prep. I was able to grab everything I needed for these fun modern pigs in a blanket right at Publix.
Party and event prep really is easier when it requires just one stop. I think navigating a full cart and constantly looking in all the wrong places (oh, is that just me?) through multiple grocery stores is half the battle.
Or more than that. More like 75% of the battle. Oops I mean, prep. Same thing sometimes though, you know?
At least it’s always worth it, right?
I’d have to say so, at least. Especially with these pigs in a blanket on the menu.
Now it’s your turn – what’s your go-to game day snack? Or snack in general? I’m always looking to add to my snack cabinet in advance of events. Or…you know…just for me.
Oh, and want to win a trip to Atlanta for the SEC Football Championship this year? Here’s how:
Become the Party QB and win tickets to the SEC Football Championship on December 2, 2017 in Atlanta, GA! Three Grand Prize winners will win 2 tickets to the game, airfare, and hotel accommodations thanks to Dr Pepper® and Johnsonville Sausage®. 50 other lucky winners will win a $50 Publix Gift Card! Don’t let your team down! Visit TailgateToVictory.com for your chance to win. Enter between 9/11-10/13/2017. Dr Pepper and Johnsonville are proud sponsors of the SEC.